Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Working from home

I've been working from home the last couple of afternoons because my kids are sick and my mother-in-law is sick too and feeling too weak to be looking after them. It's nice to be home more, but it's a challenge to work at home. It's hard because on the one hand I feel like I should be getting more done around the house but on the other hand, I still have the same amount of work that needs to be done for my job. I get to see the kids more, but they want to be in on what I am doing, which is distracting and makes me less efficient.

Sometimes I think that it would be good for me to find a way to work from home all the time, but then when I have to do it, like today, I realize that it would be much harder than the rosy picture I have of it in my head. I might go a little stir-crazy and desperate for other adult conversation. On the other hand, I'm sure I'd get used to it. It would just take some adjusting.

I don't know what the answer is. Working outside the home keeps me away from the kids too much. Working from home is hard and might leave the kids feeling like I'm always pushing them away or sending them to their rooms to play. Not working isn't an option right now, so what do I do?

What does everyone else do?

No comments: