Monday, March 17, 2008

Yoga

I did my first yoga workout today. I don’t think it went quite the way it was supposed to, though. There wasn’t much peace and serenity involved. The problem could have been the two children who were extremely interested in what I was doing.

Anna narrated the whole workout for me.
“Those grown ups on the tv are acting like they are sleeping.”
“Now they are pretending to wake up.”
“Mommy is sleeping. I will wake her up now.”
“Mommy is going to crawl now. I will do it with her.”


In the mean time, Christian thinks that mommy is in prime position for playing.



Downward dog pose quickly became a tunnel to be crawled through.


Cobra pose obviously was an invitation to climb on my back for a ride.



Cat pose became a wonderful slide. I don’t think you are supposed to go from cobra pose to cat pose with a 43 lb child on your back, but the instructor on the video didn’t say that. Maybe it’s an advanced variation.


The Warrior pose also made a great tunnel. Too bad I wasn’t supposed to stay in that pose long enough for him to get all the way through. Of course, he thought that getting squished was great fun, so he crawled under me with every chance he got and stayed there until I either squished him again or moved so that he wasn’t in my way.


I did manage to get through the entire 30 minute workout (for the most part). I hope that yoga isn’t an all or nothing thing. With my two little ones running rampant while I am trying to do something good for my body, closing my eyes and dismissing “every thought that enters the mind” just doesn’t seem like a safe thing to do.


Is it still possible to get some of the benefits of it even if I can’t engage in the peaceful meditation part of it?


Any yoga experts out there in the blogosphere who might know?

No comments: